Zūm is adding to our team of passionate people who are transforming student transportation. As a school bus driver at Zūm, you will play an essential role in our local communities by providing safe and reliable transportation for students, using a combination of industry-standard tools and Zūm's proprietary platform.
- Comply with all applicable federal and state regulations regarding the operation of various types of vehicles in transporting pupils to and from school, special events, field trips, etc.
- Conducts vehicle inspections as required by all applicable federal, state, local regulations and in accordance with Company procedures. Does not operate an unsafe vehicle and reports mechanical malfunctions to the appropriate Maintenance Shop personnel.
- Reports to duty on time and operates vehicles on an assigned route as directed.
- Maintains scheduled route to established time and mileage or notifies supervision of changes and/or delays.
- Maintains, reads and understands route sheets including time changes and provides on-time route performance in a safe and effective manner.
- Exercises student management through communication and discipline per Company policy and maintains control of student passengers at all times to ensure safe operation of vehicle.
- Records and reports discipline issues to school officials as instructed.
- When transporting special needs students, manage student care and behavior within guidelines established by individual school districts.
- Provides physical assistance to passengers during emergency vehicle evacuations.
- Reports all vehicle and passenger accidents/incidents in accordance with Company accident response procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of student medical and personal information.
- Reports all personal motor vehicle violations to supervisor as required by DOT regulations.
- Keeps the interior of the assigned vehicle clean and presentable.
- Ensures the vehicle is properly fueled according to facility procedures.
- Completes all required paperwork (including route change sheets, time cards, vehicle repair requests) and submits to the appropriate authority in a timely manner.
- Prepares the vehicle for inclement weather conditions, including scraping or cleaning windows, applying tire chains.
- Safely and efficiently utilizes bus equipment, including wheelchair lifts, radios and emergency equipment.
- Presents a neat and professional appearance at all times.
- Maintains a cooperative attitude with fellow employees, supervisors, parents, and school personnel; always promoting company goodwill.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, all valid applicable state licenses and other required certifications to operate company vehicles.
- Must meet physical and medical requirements and pass substance abuse screening; as a safety-sensitive employee, will be subject to random substance abuse screening under Company policy.
- Must satisfactorily complete and pass all driver-related training and attend all safety meetings and in-service meetings in order to remain qualified.
- Must demonstrate professional and courteous communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to lift and assist students when necessary.
- Must have a high degree of attention and considerable dexterity to operate and control company vehicles.
- Must practice defensive driving at all times and avoid vehicular and industrial accidents by practicing safe driving and work habits.
- Must have ability to maintain effective pupil behavior management over groups of children.
Zūm Services, Inc. and all its subsidiaries provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.